CITY OF SAUGATUCK


Saugatuck City Officials

City Manager

Kirk Harrier

Mayor

Christine Peterson

Mayor Pro-Tem

Ken Trester

Council Member

Joseph Leonatti

Jane Verplank

Mark Bekken

Barry Johnson

Ken Trester


Saugatuck City Offices

City Hall

102 Butler Street

P.O. Box 86

Saugatuck, Michigan 49453

(269) 857-2603


Saugatuck City Meetings

Second & Fourth Mondays 

7:00 P.M.

City Hall

 William Gay Butler and family, from Hartford, Connecticut, settled here in 1830.  He platted the village in 1833 and had it recorded as Kalamazoo, it being by the Kalamazoo River.  In 1836, the legislature gave that name to the town since bearing it, and to this village the name of Newark, after its township.  Rensselaer R. Crosby became the first Postmaster on Newark on May 2, 1835, succeeded by Mr. Butler on April 4, 1838.  Stephen A Morrison, who became the third postmaster on January 18, 1842, got it given its old Indian name of Saugatuck, Pottawattomi for riverís mouth, for near here the Kalamazoo River empties into Lake Michigan.  In 1868, both village and township were renamed Saugatuck.  Saugatuck was incorporated as a village in 1868.

Permit Application Downloads

(requires Adobe Reader)

Building Permit Application
Building Permit Information
Electrical Permit Application
Mechanical Permit Application
Plumbing Permit Application

 



web page hosted by: